cups or HPLIP - overeager notification of syslog messages

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 02:51:27 UTC 2009

Hi,
I am testing HPLIP 3.9.6, from the latest port candidate on this
mailinglist.
Tonight I was changing my cupsd.conf so that I could access my printer from
another machine on the local network. During that exercise, I made a few
errors, which resulted in cupsd writing those errors to syslog, which is all
fine, and the way I like it.

However; those messages wer _also_ printed on _al_l terminals (xterms) I had
active on the machine cupsd is running on.
No, we are not just talking about the one xterm which I am using as a root
shell on this machine, but _all_ xterm's, no matter what they were doing.

Urgh - bad decision, very bad.

Here is the messages in /var/log/messages:
Jul 26 03:53:15 kg-v2 cupsd: Unable to read configuration file
'/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting!
Jul 26 03:53:53 kg-v2 cupsd: Unable to read configuration file
'/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting!
Jul 26 03:54:49 kg-v2 last message repeated 2 times

And here they are from an idle xterm:
tingo at kg-v2$
Message from syslogd at kg-v2 at Jul 26 03:53:15 ...
kg-v2 cupsd: Unable to read configuration file
'/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting!

Message from syslogd at kg-v2 at Jul 26 03:53:53 ...
kg-v2 cupsd: Unable to read configuration file
'/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting!

Message from syslogd at kg-v2 at Jul 26 03:54:49 ...
kg-v2 last message repeated 2 times

I haven't seen this problem before, and I have used cups and hplip since
hplip was fiurst ported to FreeBSd.
I do not know if the fault lies with HPLIP ( I suspect the systray app, but
I have no evidence)
Nor do I know if this is just a fault in the program itself, or if it is
because of the porting to FreeBSD (most likely it hasn't anything to do with
it).

HTH
--
Regards,