FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.99.11_14

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 25 05:20:05 UTC 2009

Thomas Zander<thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com> wrote:
>Stackhouse<mstackhouse at samsa.com> wrote:

>> I think we'll investigate VLC as an alternative.  Not too comfortable
>> building around a solution that's not being maintained as it should be.

> mplayer is definitely continuously developed, it's not an abandoned
> project! They just do not follow a release scheme at the moment.

He may have been referring to the FreeBSD port here, not upstream.  ;)

> If the svn version does the job you want it to do, it's definitely worth a try.
> I personally like mplayer as it is still lighter than VLC.

I was going to submit a snapshot update some months ago to Riggs, but
I got bogged down (sorry, Riggs!) with sound problems on my computer,
and other demands on my time. By the time that I returned to it,
upstream developers who were using Linux had introduced several
additional hurdles by using SSE3 and several C99 math functions that
were missing from our gcc 4.2 base compiler toolchain and our aging
and largely unmaintained math library.  Since then, after complaints
from users on the mplayer mailing list who were attempting to build
snapshots on FreeBSD, they resolved some but not all of these problems
by just disabling some of the newer code, which is ... not altogether
satisfactory.  Also, there was, the last time I checked, some kind of
problem with our base compiler on amd64.  Suggested workarounds for
some of these problems were submitted by "Tomek" on March 2 to the
freebsd-multimedia mailing list (under messages entitled "x264 patch"
and "ffmpeg patch", but there are still some problems to resolve.  So
this will probably require a little time and effort to update.  If no
one else does it, I'll try to get to it in the next few weeks.  It
definitely ought to be done.

b.