needing install OpenOffice.org without messing up perl

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Jul 22 20:25:44 UTC 2009

Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> writes:

>      Finally getting back to this...sigh...
>      On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 14:10:54 -0400 Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>>Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> writes:
>>
>>>      What is the best way to install OpenOffice.org from a package without
>>> the installation trying to reinstall perl5.8 over perl5.10?
>>
>>Get a package that includes them?
>
>      Do you have any suggestions of where to find such a beast?

Wait?  The official packages will match this description eventually.

I could offer you the package I built, which matches this description.
It takes a day to build, but it doesn't take any of my attention while
it does so.  And you'd have to live with whatever other options I'd
chosen.

>>Short of that, you would have to install the package without
>>dependencies.  There is a pkg_add option to do this, but the
>
>      Sure, but OOo is so huge and requires so much other stuff
> that there is almost certainly something it wants installed that
> I do not already have installed.

Um, possibly, but you can look at the port makefile and load them on
your own.  Or you could let OpenOffice install perl5.8, then delete it
afterwards and fix up the dependency databases.

>>trick comes afterwards, when you have to fix it up to use the
>>perl you actually have (perl-after-upgrade(1) might be able to
>>handle this, but you have no guarantees.).  Or you could just
>
>      Why wouldn't OOo, once installed, simply use whatever were
> installed as /usr/local/bin/perl?

Because perl doesn't tend to be backwards-compatible.

>>install both perl versions; they should be able to coexist
>>just fine.
>>
>      That would be nice and reasonably simple if it were an option.
> Unfortunately, the two versions are incompatible.

Oops, sorry; that's right.

I guess you could get out a bigger hammer, but editing the package
directly to change the dependency is probably easier.  You'll still need
to fix up the scripts afterwards.

Good luck.