Unable to build "graphics/gd"

Marcus von Appen mva at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 19 12:22:44 UTC 2009

On, Sun Jul 19, 2009, Jerry wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:00:30 +0200
> Marcus von Appen <mva at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Looks like it tries to link against the older version that's still
> > installed. Try to deinstall gd first, then build and install it again.
>
> Thanks, that fixed it. Strange, but I have not had that problem before.

Just for informational purposes:

It is a problem with how the FreeBSD upgrade tools work and how a port
(read: application, library, whatever) manages its own build.

Usually a port, in case it links to one of its own components, should do
that by using the just built component in its build directory. Some of
them however do not do that but use the complete system environment,
thus it can happen that they link to e.g. an older version of themselves
or so, causing anything to fail as you just noticed.

Regards
Marcus