status of FreeBSD ports you maintain as of 20090705

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net
Thu Jul 16 20:45:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:17:11 -0700, Charlie Kester <corky1951 at comcast.net>
wrote:
> On Wed 15 Jul 2009 at 14:08:18 PDT Martin Tournoij wrote:
>>On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:47:19 -0500, linimon at FreeBSD.org wrote:
>>> I have noticed some maintainer-timeouts on ports that you maintain.
>>> Please let me know if you are still interested in these ports;
>>otherwise,
>>> I would like to reassign them.  Thanks.
>>>
>>> mcl
>>>
>>> audio/mpdscribble               carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net      1
>>> x11-wm/pekwm                    carpetsmoker at rwxrwxrwx.net      2
>>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I would like to maintain these ports, but unfortunately I haven't had
the
>>time
>>in the last few months. And not having a X11-enabled FreeBSD machine
>>installed
>>doesn't help either...
>>
>>I thought about it during the last week, and will resign the
>>maintainership of
>>all my ports in the coming weeks, (For a few ports I have a few changes/
>>updates in the pipeline I would like to finish).
>>
>>So it's Ok to reassign these ports.
>
> Judging by your followups, Martin, there seems to be some confusion
> about which ports you're relinquishing at this time.
>
> Was your OK meant to apply only to the mpdscribble and pekwm ports?  And
> your mention of your other ports was only a heads-up that you intend to
> be resigning maintainership in the near future, after submitting some
> final changes?

Yep, that was it (See below).

> Just trying to clarify the situation.  It's good to see that there are
> volunteers ready to take over once you're done

Indeed, thanks to everyone.

I would like to pass on maintainership of all my ports, most ports I
maintain are X11 based and I don't really use FreeBSD with X11 anymore
nowadays (Due to crappy Xorg ``releases'' if you can call 'em that, OpenBSD
works much better for me ATM).
However, I don't want to pass maintainership *right now*, for example, I
have spent quite some time a few months ago improving the audio/csound
port, and this afternoon I spent some time making final adjustments and
some (hopefully useful) instructions for the new maintainer.

I guess all of this can also be done after maintainership is passed, but
my idea was that people would call out that they were willing to maintain a
port, that I would make final adjustments (if any), and then submit a PR
with the adjustments and maintainer change.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear, I just assumed this must be standard
procedure ...

Regards,
Martin