ports/130218 Maintainer timeout? (lang/ghc update)

L Campbell llc2w at virginia.edu
Tue Jul 14 00:29:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Wesley Shields<wxs at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 05:55:22PM -0400, L Campbell wrote:
>> *pokes the haskell@ maintainers*
>>
>> Is there anything blocking the update of lang/ghc? We have an
>> *ancient* version of GHC (the primary Haskell compiler) in ports --
>> old enough to cause problems with Haskell library requirements. It
>> really needs to be updated (or, there needs to be a newer version of
>> GHC in ports).
>>
>> The patch in that PR is for GHC 6.10.1; the current
>> latest-and-greatest is 6.10.3 (which came out in May).
>>
>> Is possible, could the lang/ghc port be brought up-to-date? If not,
>> what can I do to make it possible?
>
> The patches have become stale. If you want to submit an updated patch
> (possibly going to the 6.10.3 if you want) I will do my best to make
> sure it builds properly and is committed. I can't do any runtime testing
> of it though.

I've got 6.10.2 built properly right now (generating the pkg-plist
now). I had issues with 6.10.1 and 6.10.3 --

6.10.1 has a broken ghci out of the box on amd64 (mmap issues arising
from the shared library support). See:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2008-November/016239.html

6.10.3 doesn't build for me due to issues with haskeline (the Haskell
readline library). I suspect there's a cabal package somewhere which
isn't building correctly then silently failing. Haven't investigated
further because 6.10.2 builds fine and that's good enough for my
needs.

I went ahead and ran the GHC regression testsuite on my built -- got a
whopping 300 failures (of ~12000 test cases; 2.5%). I've only skimmed
through the failure list (it's attached for your browsing pleasure) --
some of the things looks like problems on their end, some of them look
like problems on my end (ie, need FreeBSD-specific patches for things
like "getPermissions001", I imagine).

Some of the failed tests look kind of concerning ("space_leak_001").

I've attached my current diff on the Makefile; I'll post a full diff
when I've got the pkg-plist built; definitely want to have some more
eyes testing it (and I still need to test it on an i386 box) to make
sure nothing is completely foobar.