Permission of Directories created by ports (wrong)

Ralf Folkerts ralf.folkerts at gmx.de
Fri Jul 3 18:49:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

for quite a while I am having problems with the Permissions of some
Directories in /usr/local that are being created by/via installing
ports. I searched this ML and the make.conf and ports manpages but w/o
success. These directories are being created with Mode 0700.

Currently it happened with the Update to NetBeans 6.7 ("portupgrade"d
from 6.5):

[bash]beaster:local$ls -ld netbeans67/
drwx------  22 root  wheel  1024  3 Jul 19:09 netbeans67/

Before this it was the Virtualbox-Port that created its Directory with
700, too. I think there was another Port but unfortunately can't
remember :-(

However, this dies not seem to be a global Problem; i.e. OpenOffice 3.1
did install with the correct Permissions (however, I installed
openoffice from a packages):

[bash]beaster:local$ls -ld openoffice.org-3.1.0/
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 27 Jun 11:22 openoffice.org-3.1.0/

But the Directories for Java (1.5., 1.6, OpenJDK) are OK, too - and I
didn't install those from packages.

This happens when I install using "make install" from the ports'
Directory and also when running portupgrade. I usually run portupgrade
as "toor" User by logging in to a console-session as toor or by "su -
toor". Toor is using "bash". Umask of both toor and root see OK, though:

[-su]beaster:~$umask
0022

beaster# umask
22

When creating a Directory in /usr/local as either User it gets created
with the correct permissions; this is the toor Users run but the result
is the same for root.

[-su]beaster:~$mkdir /usr/local/hixelbrixel
[-su]beaster:~$ls -ld /usr/local/hixelbrixel/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jul  3 20:40 /usr/local/hixelbrixel/

I'm running

[-su]beaster:~$uname -irm
7.2-STABLE amd64 GENERIC

I built kernel/world FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #0: Fri Jun 12 19:08:44 CEST 2009

While this is not a problem I could not live with it's rather nasty
sometimes and so I'd like to fix.

Does anyone have a hint? Did I miss some make.conf Settings?

Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
_ralf_