FreeBSD Port: iwi-firmware-2.4_8

Curley jcurley at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 31 15:26:59 PST 2009

Dear Florent Thoumie,

I recently installed freeBSD 7.1 on an IBM Thinkpad T42 (types 2378) equipped with an Intel 2200 Pro Wireless card. When the system attempts to load the bss driver (for iwi) the process times out before the driver loads. As a result, the wireless card does not function.
Is there a way to ask iwi to use a longer timeout than the default, so that the card has time to respond to the driver's request? (The card functions fine with windows XP and linux.)

If they are of interest, the error message and my loader.boot file follows. Thanks.
Best Regards,
John

from /var/log/messages:
(system response to the command "ifconfig iwi0 up scan")
Jan 30 01:39:02 JohnsThinkpad kernel: iwi0: timeout processing command blocks
for iwi_bss firmware
Jan 30 01:39:02 JohnsThinkpad kernel: iwi0: could not load main firmware
iwi_bss

from /boot/loader.conf:
#WiFi Config
if_iwi_load="YES"