Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 13:12:38 PST 2009

,--- You/Peter (Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:53:11 +1100) ----*
| X11 is a critical component for anyone who is using FreeBSD as a
| desktop and having upgrades fail or come with significant POLA
| violations and regressions for significant numbers of people is not
| acceptable.

Fully agree with this.

| I suggest that this approach needs to be followed for every future
| release of X.org until (if) the X.org Project demonstrates that they
| can provide release-quality code.

And agree with this, as far as the future is concerned -- but this
leaves out the issue of what is going to be done for people whose
systems became practically incapacitated in a matter of one day.

Screw us?

I realize that personally I haven't contributed much (hey, a simple
port's maintainer!) to FreeBSD, so a disregard to my situation may be
well deserved.  But "you" (whoever this "you" is: the "ports manager",
the X port maintainers) have to be aware that leaving the things in
the state they are now, you are screwing somebody.

| >  This update also brings in support for a lot of people who are
| >running newer hardware.
|
| And breaks support for lots of people who used to have functional X
| servers.

Just so.

,--- Kostik Belousov (Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:25:09 +0200) ----*
| Just to give a different view on *this* update. I have exactly opposing
| experience.
|
| So far 1.5.3 + updated DRM works good on all my Radeons.
| And, I did not have a problem with i945GM on 1.4.2 and 1.5.3.

Well, glad for you -- meanwhile I will be reverting my desktop to the
old X this weekend: the garbage on the screen is ugly, but the fact
that in the new X "opera" can grab a pointer for about a minute makes
the combined use of the browser and xterms/Emacses plain intolerable.

After I do this, as I did with my laptop already, I think I am
completely cut off from the ports automated upgrade cycle.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --