xorg upgrade and /etc/ttys regression

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Jan 29 11:07:02 PST 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009 05:23:01 am Robert Noland wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 10:55 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > Just to be clear ...  Am I understanding things right that
> > the new X server requires hald and dbus running?  It won't
> > work anymore without them?
> >
> > (That would be a good reason for me not to update.)
>
> It will work without it.
>
> you need to specify Option "AutoAddDevices" "off" in the ServerLayout
> section of your xorg.conf.

It actually goes in the ServerFlags section. I have a clean 7.1-p2 machine. It
was built a few days ago and 7.1-release was the first OS on the HD. The
release has only 7.3 and that was installed. It ran without an xorg.conf
file. When I upgraded to 7.4, X and KDE quit working. I could <alt>f1 or
<alt>f2 but the rest of the keyboard was mostly dead along with the mouse.
and do a "shutdown now". I ran xorgconfig. It wouldn't work out of the box
because xorgconfig added

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto" # Auto detect
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"

When I added your AutoAddDevices line to my xorg.conf in the ServerFlags
section, X and KDE started running. I shifts the screen a little bit to the
left compared to my 6-stable machine, which is running 7.3 and a Windows XP
Pro system that all share a kvm switch.

After I made this machine work, I upgraded two others and they all had the
same problem and solution.

Kent