Message when updating ports

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:30:33 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Leslie Jensen <leslie at eskk.nu> wrote:

> This message has been on my screen almost every time I update a port for the
> last week.
>

> ===>>> Updating package dependency entry for each dependent port
>        ===>>> @comment MD5:e417e49fb3570516da077756fc1e7df9 is listed as a
> dependency
>        ===>>> but there is no installed version
>
> I have done checks like pkgdb -F, portsclean and so on.
>
> Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

You have a corrupted /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS files.

Use the following to findout which package has the error:

grep -l "@comment MD5:e417e49fb3570516da077756fc1e7df9" /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS

Then use your editor to verify/repair the corrupted +CONTENTS file.

There should be two lines above "@comment
MD5:e417e49fb3570516da077756fc1e7df9", this line should be an
"@comment DEPORIGIN:<portcategory/portname>" and the path to a file.

Example:

@pkgdep  libXmu-1.0.4,1
@comment DEPORIGIN:x11-toolkits/libXmu
bin/xwd
@comment MD5:<MD5 signature for bin/xwd>

Just use the pkgdep line to determine which port in /usr/ports/ this
pkgdep is, and add its path on a @comment DEPORIGIN line.

Then use your portmanager/portupgrade tool to reinstall the broken package.

Scot

P.S. I had to fix a couple of missing "@comment
ORIGIN:<category/portname>" lines this way due to corruption/empty
+CONTENTS files.