xorg upgrade and /etc/ttys regression

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Tue Jan 27 16:21:26 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 19:02 +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've used to start my login manager with /etc/ttys for years now (After I
> considered myself became to lazy to type startx).
>
> After yesterdays xorg upgrade I've noticed, that the login manager which
> comes up right after going to multiuser has no working mouse or keyboard
> support. This is probably because the login manager gets started by
> /sbin/init which uses getttyent which parses /etc/ttys. This all happens
> before hald is being started which is the problem here.
>
> So the solution seems to be to drop/remove login manager startups
> from /etc/ttys and move over to rc.d startup.
>
> This might be an information which others (people also using /etc/ttys)
> might find usefull so I'm sharing it...
>

> When upgrading to latest xorg - make sure you are retiring your /etc/ttys
> upgrade
>

> (Or am I the only one experiencing this? Maybe my system is just to slow
> to start hald fast enough? ;)

I had a similar problem: I rebooted after a failed portupgrade -a and
lost X. I then found out I needed to comment out RGBPath (which kinda
fixed the X crashing) but XDM still wasn't working because update wasn't
finished. So I uncommented the RGBPath, completed my update, and then
commented RGBPath again (stopped X annoying me by popping up every so
often due to ttys). XDM came up, but mouse wasn't working so I rebooted
and it was fine again. I didn't need to change my method at all.

Question is: which X are you running? 7.4? Might be hald is not started
high enough on the list in rc.conf?