xorg upgrade and /etc/ttys regression

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Tue Jan 27 13:29:30 PST 2009

Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>
>> /etc/ttys is the very last thing in the boot process.
>
> Right. But init is the utility which starts up the rc(8) boot process as
> this is what the init man page tells.
> Reading init.c it seems like /etc/rc is started before read_ttys is called
> but I'm not sure that everything is up and running when read_ttys is
> reached.
>
>> It's much more likely that hald isn't working properly. Even if hald
>> started late, as soon as it started, your mouse and keyboard would
>> start working as soon as hald detects them (that's the whole point
>> of using hald, runtime detection).
>
> But killing my xorg and having it restarted from /sbin/init automatically
> gives me back my keyboard and mouse. Nothing else done.

Following Nolans mail hald forks before it can be reached through dbus. The
order in which things get started is right, but your assumption that things
aren't really set up when hald and dbus fork appear to be correct.

As a really dirty workaround I'd change the tty line:
ttyv8   "/bin/sleep 3;/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

Of course insert your login manager of choice, here.