[patch] net-p2p/deluge port improvement - startup scripts + update to 1.1.1

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Jan 26 15:38:34 PST 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:56:39 -0600, Victor Popov <v.a.popov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Replying to myself, sorry.
>
> Victor Popov wrote:
>
> | Deluge bittorrent client is great, and has a flexible architecture,
> which
> | allows user to run a downloading daemon, only occasionally launching an
> | user interface to manage downloads; all the other time daemon can work
> | unattended.
> | net-p2p/deluge port is missing startup scripts for daemon, and this is
> | what I want to be fixed.
> |
> | The attached patch adds two rc scripts, for launching the daemon,
> deluged,
> | and for launching deluge in webui mode. Ideally, this should be several
> | separate ports, like net-p2p/transmission-*, but deluge is installed by
> | own installer, so dividing port into several would require a lot of
> work.
> |
> | Some comments about why I wrote these startup scripts in this way:
> | - First of all, I don't at all like the idea of running p2p client as
> | usual desktop user for security reasons - desktop users may store
> | sensitive information in their mailboxes, browser configs and other
> | places, so it is better to dedicate different uid for peering task.
> This
> | is why _user and _home configuration variables are introduced.
> | I wonder, should we assign an uid in the UIDs file? What default
> homedir
> | should this user have? I've set default to /home/deluge, and maybe
> there

Yes, it needs to be add in the UIDs and GIDs files.

> | are better places?
> | - Minor bug in launching command-line: it should be
> --logfile=${logfile},
> | not a redirection, but unfortunately it does not work now. Could not
> | investigate and fix it, sorry.
> Fixed in new version and handled in updated patch.
>
> | - run_rc_command is called with environment variable HOME set to
> ${home},
> | because deluged can't determine homedir from user, and it does not
> accept
> | "-c" switch.
> | - Bug in deluge-webui script: when it is time to stop deluge, script
> has
> | to find process due to lack of pidfile. If at that time you are running
> | deluge with gtk UI, script will find your instance, and will try to
> kill
> | it. If deluge_webui_user is not you, it's ok, your deluge is safe, but
> | after that script will not be able to start webui, because it would
> think
> | it is already running. This is because deluge program does not accept
> | "--pidfile" parameter. There is already a feature-request in deluge
> | bug-tracker for adding pidfile
> [http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/758],
> | so maybe soon it would be possible to improve this script.
> |

> | Can this patch be commited, please? If something is wrong, comments
> would
> | be very appreciated.
>
> I've updated my patch to deliver new version of deluge - 1.1.1. In
> addition to portversion bump and distfile changes, I've changed
> MASTER_SITES to "official" download site, although it has the same IP
> now,

The fetch(1) doesn't do very well with redirect, so it's why I didn't put
deluge.org in there.

I think the startup script looks good, but the *.pid and *.log need to
move to /var/run/*.pid and /var/log/*.log for hier(7). I will checking
more tonight or tomorrow on this patch. Thanks for patch!

Cheers,
Mezz

> it can change in future. Also, some plist fixes related to new version.
>

> - --
> Best regards, Victor Popov	mailto:v.a.popov at gmail.com

FreeBSD GNOME Team