Ports required to rebuild after upgrading Xorg to 7.4

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Sat Jan 24 10:13:59 PST 2009

## Jan Henrik Sylvester (me at janh.de):

> >> Did you run portupgrade -rf libxcb?
> > On a related note: I ran above command _before_ doing a full
> > "portupgrade -a". A whole bunch of ports failed to upgrade because
> A mixture of -rf and a -a upgrade is always problematic, unless you were
> up-to-date before the library in question got updated.

I was quite close to being up-to-date (some hours), which has been
close enough in all cases until now (that's why I csup once a day,
so I can update to a point close before larger changes and then
do whatever UPDATING suggests).

> BTW: Doing -rf is usually a lot more compile(!) time consuming than
> necessary, since indirect dependencies of a port usually (but only
> usually) do not link against the library in question. If you (think you)
> know what you are doing, you can try to find the ports that actually
> link against an old library using 'libchk -v' (or pkg_libchk as
> mentioned above).

And in case I screw up, I'll just take pkg_delete -fa and start over :)
Luckily, such updates as X do not happen that often (as far as I can
remember it's just X, Gnome and perhaps KDE triggering large-scale
compiler action).

Regards,
Christoph

--