FreeBSD Port: squidGuard-1.4

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 21 13:15:45 PST 2009

Rick Chisholm wrote:
> Guido Falsi wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:09:25PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>>
>>> Guido Falsi wrote:
>>>  > Since ports are expected not to leave files behind when deinstalled,

>>> The way that this is traditionally handled is for the port to install
>>> both file and file.sample, but only list file.sample in the plist.
>>> Then at deinstall time there should be a script to compare file to
>>> file.sample and remove file if it is the same. Repeat for values of
>>> $file as needed.
>>>
>>> It is not expected or desirable for a port to remove user-modified
>>> files (including those files created by a daemon).
>>>

>> I agree. I was thinking if it could be acceptable to add an option to
>> the port for installing/not installing the sample blacklists and not
>> adding those to the plist anyway. This could be easier to handle.
>> Perhaps also more logical.
>>
>> With this change a note on deinstall to check and remove by hand the
>> folder should also be added, obviously.
>>

> That might make more sense, esp. if a user has created numerous large
> dbs rather than downloading them from a 3rd party.  It wasn't disastrous
> for me since I upgraded a test server first, but it would be preferable
> if the upgrade didn't touch the db dir or squidGuard.conf.

An option for whether or not to install the sample dbs would be a
nice-to-have. But regardless of whether or not that option is added
the port still needs to do the routine I described above when the
sample files are present.

To ease Guido's concerns, as long as in the default case (i.e., the
user has not modified any of the installed files) the port removes
everything it installs the tinderboxes will be happy. What you want to
avoid is automatically deinstalling files that users have modified.

Doug