FreeBSD Port: squidGuard-1.4

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Tue Jan 20 12:49:31 PST 2009

Rick Chisholm wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I recently did a SG 1.3 to 1.4 portupgrade and it seems to have cleared
> out my /var/db/squidGuard dir.  Does that make sense?

Hi!

It does make sense. It depends on how the port was first installed.

When taking maintainership I did not modify the original logic.

Since ports are expected not to leave files behind when deinstalled,
port logic checks on first install if ${DATADIR} exists. If it does it
will NOT be created/populated and NOT included in the plist, and not
removed on deinstall.

On the contrary if it does not find such directory it will create,
populate it remove it on deinstall.

BTW, the default datadir is /var/db/squidGuard.

This logic is there to adhere to porting guidelines and make
portlint/tinderboxes happy, and also give first time users a working
software. It could be changed, but I can't just have the port create a
directory full of files and then leave them there.

One solution could be to just create the directory before
installing/upgrading the software one time, then it will be left there
untouched.

> As an aside, I would like to thank-you for maintaining this port - your
> work is appreciated.

Thank you a lot. I'm open to suggestions to how to make the port better.
I just have to follow porting guidelines regarding not leaving files behind.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>