pkg_info: package files checked before installed packages

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Jan 16 04:52:09 PST 2009

[people who "touched" pkg_info recently are CC-ed]

Please see a prior discussion here:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?496F360E.1000508
and especially this post:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?7d6fde3d0901152330p32c51b64i212c660c0aaeb04c

So it is obvious from code in usr.sbin/pkg_install/info/perform.c,
function pkg_do() that if for a given name there is both a package file
in a defined packages directory and also an installed package, then
pkg_info would work on the package file.

I do not think that this is either obvious/intuitive or even correct.
At the very list there should be an option to control this behavior.

I have a system where I keep package files for all installed/built
packages and pkg_info acts very nasty there, especially when working on
all packages.

--
Andriy Gapon