Dependent ports get "does not exist" errors

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Jan 12 12:49:06 PST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>>
>> Here's the problem: ports that depend on other ports will occasionally
>> install those ports and then not find them.  For example, installing gimp:
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/graphics/gimp
>> make install
>> [...]
>> ===>   Compressing manual pages for bash-3.2.48_1
>> ===>   Registering installation for bash-3.2.48_1
>> ===>   Returning to build of rarian-0.8.1
>> Error: file "bash" does not exist
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/rarian
>> [...]
>> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/gimp
>>
>> Doing just "make install" again will find bash and continue.
>
>    Stale $PATH (hash -r / rehash)?

It's tempting; I thought of it but disregarded it because:

A) No rehash is necessary to fix it, just do "make install" again.
B) Wouldn't it fail on *all* just-built dependencies instead of a few?
C) I can't believe the ports scripts would use csh rather than sh.

The xorg upgrade mergebase.sh was run at some point, but that doesn't
seem likely either.