Is -j safe to use when building or updating ports?

David Forsythe dforsyth at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 12 12:02:20 PST 2009

I did work this summer to get parallel dependency handling working.
It was pretty dirty, but it worked.  I've been cleaning it up in my
time off from school (I've had about 7 weeks off in the past year) and
I'm actually hoping to have something workable done by the end of this
week.  My stuff also locks up pkgdb_dir and I patched pkg_add and
pkg_delete to honor the locks.

- Dave

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
>> Short answer: with the current infrastructure, it isn't.  There is a
>> WIP to fix this, but I dropped the ball in completing the review of it.
>>
>> The problem is dealing with the dependencies.
>>
>> mcl
>
> There's also a race condition possibility with pkg_add and the files
> in /var/db/pkg that still hasn't been worked out yet.
> -Garrett

David Forsythe