ports + pkg_install - confusion over what's installed

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 15:13:19 PST 2009

Hi guys,
    I just tried to pull in audio/py-flac to see what the build errors
are, but unfortunately it doesn't let me get too far in the build. I'm
greeted by this error:

===>  Installing for flac-1.2.1
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if audio/flac already installed
===>   flac-1.2.1 is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of audio/flac
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/flac.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/py-flac.

    I'm used to this occurring with stuff that I've already installed
on my machine, and subsequently am attempting to reinstall, but I'm
not used to seeing this when
    Does anyone else see this and can they possibly provide a cluebat
on where to look to fix this issue (I have an idea from pkg_install's
end, but not the port Makefile's end...)?
    This was a package marked IGNORE.
Thanks,
-Garrett