Problem with .so numbering on FreeBSD in contrast to Linux

Sun Feb 22 00:35:03 PST 2009

Quoting Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> (from Sat, 21 Feb 2009
11:12:51 +0100):

> Hi,
>
> it looks like the problem is indeed in ltmain.sh
> of my source packages. The decisive code piece
> is not the one from my last mail but this
>
>         freebsd-elf)
>           major=".$current"
>           versuffix=".$current";
>           ;;
>
> which i replaced by this (learned from case linux)
>
>         freebsd-elf)
>           major=.`expr $current - $age`
>           versuffix="$major.$age"
>           ;;
>
> Input parameters are: current=31, age=27, revision=0.
> So this now leads to installation of
>   libburn.so.4.27
> which i believe complies to policies-shlib.html.

I think this is a little bit outdated. We only have one number after
the .so since a long time. All libs in /lib and /usr/lib are .so.X and
for 3rd party applications most are .so.X (those which aren't are a
sign of bugs in the ports collection). On one of my systems 1.2% are
not .so.X:

---snip---
% ls -1 | grep .so. | wc -l
      539
% ls -1 | grep .so. | egrep '\.so\.[0-9]\.[0-9]' | wc -l
       7
---snip---

> Next questions:
>
> Is  freebsd-aout  of any importance nowadays ?

No. Those FreeBSD versions which used a.out instead of ELF are not
supported anymore since a very very long time. We still are able to
load a.out stuff in the current releases, but the entire compiler
toolchain is using ELF by default. You have to make some effort to
generate a.out stuff.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Bender: "Aw, I think I got whiplash."
Leela: "You can't have whiplash, you don't have a neck."