Problem with .so numbering on FreeBSD in contrast to Linux

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Feb 22 00:00:54 PST 2009

Hi,

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> The ltverhack is a hack in ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk[1].
> ltverhack_PRE_PATCH=    for file in gnome-ltmain.sh gnome-libtool; do \
> ... [some impressive shell code] ...

Looks like they patch their private libtool
on demand.

My problem appears to be a simple bug in the
autotools package of SuSE Linux 10.2.
So i decided to adjust the "freebsd-elf" case of
  /usr/share/libtool/ltmain.sh
on my machine to the prescriptions in
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/policies-shlib.html
That template file gets copied into my project
directories by command libtoolize in ./bootstrap.
So the problem will be gone automatically with
the next releases.

... until i get a new computer and install new
autotools. The problematic code is still in
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.2.6a.tar.gz
as it seems. I did not install. But i see in
  libtool-2.2.6/libltdl/config/ltmain.sh
  libtool-2.2.6/libltdl/config/ltmain.m4sh
the undesirable code snippet:
        freebsd-elf)
          major=".$current"
          versuffix=".$current"
          ;;

Maybe the FreeBSD community should discuss this
with the GNU libtool project. I myself feel not
apt for that.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas