dyndns.org clients

Patrick Hurrelmann outi at bytephobia.de
Sat Feb 21 09:42:31 PST 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:47:13 +0100
Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a dyndns.org client. I've used ddup for years but it
> is deleted for quite some time now. ipcheck is not a solution because
> it requires python. I don't want to install a whole scripting
> language for just keeping my IP at dyndns.org up to date on my router.
>
> So I'm looking for a dyndns.org client which is written in C (perl is
> also not an option). Does someone know a port?
>
> Otherwise I propably have to resurrect ddup...

Hi Oliver,

on my OpenBSD Firewall I have simple shell script running, that takes
care of the ip-address update for dyndns.org. This works as dyndns.org
aloows updates via http.

I fetched the script below from some howto or mailinglists, but I can't
remember where :/

#!/bin/sh
LOG=/var/log/update_dyndns.log
DYNIP=`ifconfig pppoe0 | grep 'inet ' | awk '{print $2}'`

echo "`date` : Update dyndns.org: ${DYNIP}" >> ${LOG}
/usr/bin/lynx -dump -auth=${1}:${2}
"http://members.dyndns.org/nic/update?system
=dyndns&hostname=${3}&myip=${DYNIP}" >> ${LOG}

#EOF

All you need is to run the script and pass username, password and
domain as parameters. This runs beautiful! I was in the very same
situation as you. The perl solution wasn't what I was searching for and
some Python scripts seemed to be overkill for a small embedded
firewall like mine. So I went using this approach. Lynx also is
available in base on OpenBSD.

Hope this may help you :)

Reagards
Patrick

Patrick Hurrelmann   | "Programming today is a race between software
Mannheim, Germany    | engineers striving to build bigger and better
                     | idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
outi at bytephobia.de   | to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
www.bytephobia.de    | the Universe is winning."         - Rich Cook

                  /"\
                  \ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign