git snapshots, PORTVERSION, PORTEPOCH

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 21 00:45:09 PST 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:32:52 +0300
Anonymous <swell.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be okay if I use commit hash in PORTVERSION and constantly
> bump PORTEPOCH on each update? Are there any such precedents?
>
> %%%
> PORTVERSION=    0.0.10${SNAPSUFFIX}
> PORTEPOCH=      1
>
> SNAPSUFFIX=     .${SNAPTYPE}.${SNAPREV}
> SNAPTYPE=       git
> SNAPREV=        e09f50e
> %%%
>
> Where PKGNAME would look like
>
>     myport-0.0.10.git.e09f50e,1
>
> I want to keep commit reference in place and refrain from using vague
> dates in PORTVERSION because there can be several commits per day. And
> for curious users I can include ChangeLog file in distfile generated
> from git-log command.

No, please don't do this. We use PORTEPOCH when there's no other way.

Use, like other ports do:
PORTVERSION=    0.0.10
PORTREVISION=	${SNAPDATE}

I don't see what role SNAPTYPE would have.
Since you have the date, you can easily get the git magic string.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B