Port Request: gluster

Jim Riggs ports at christianserving.org
Fri Feb 20 17:49:47 PST 2009

On 02/20/2009 11:40, David N wrote:
> 2009/2/21 Pathiakis, Paul<Paul.Pathiakis at ironmountain.com>:
>> Steven,
>>
>> I'm going to start testing it in a pre-production environment.  It seems
>> so straightforward, integrates with ZFS, it has simple configuration
>> files, all around, I'm hoping that it garners more
>> clustering/replication for FreeBSD.  Many of the other solutions are
>> quite tedious and setup complexity is quite annoying.

Several weeks ago I actually created a port for glusterfs as I was hoping to implement it myself.  I'll have to see if I saved any of my work.  I actually had a working port, but I may have dumped it.  I will be happy to submit it if I can find it.  I just don't know that I will be able to maintain it.

A couple of notes from what I found:

1. It does not yet integrate with FreeBSD's implementation of ZFS (at least not in 7.x) due to the lack of ACL support.  You can use it with a UFS partition or a UFS zvol.  (Using a zvol requires a patch pjd@ recommended for performance improvements.)

2. Performance in my setup was not very good over 2x1Gb LAGG.  It might be better over a faster, dedicated channel of some type.

- Jim