Xorg disaster

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 15:08:32 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> c. Use the new Xorg with the included nv driver instead of the nvidia
>> binary driver.
>>
>> I usually use the binary driver, but I recently upgraded to the new
>> Xorg and for a variety of reasons decided to try out the Xorg nv
>> driver and didn't have any problems.
> You're lucky. On my system (nvidia 8500GT card) only vesa driver works
> without issues.
>
>> FWIW, as a general course of action I find it useful to upgrade
>> _everything_ on the system (base, ports, etc.) first before doing the
>> nvidia driver, since the compiled parts are sensitive to changes in
>> the underlying source and headers.
> Done
>>
>>  and you might also consider clearing out
>> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg if it exists.
> Undone, I'll try

    I updated nvidia-driver to the latest version, and submitted a
patch, but ran into issues with graphics/mesa-demos (until recently
when someone fixed the build CFLAGS -- rnoland?).
    It's MUCH better than the current ports version. They fixed a
driver regression, so my displays no longer seize up with high CPU
usage while compiling and no longer freeze after playing movies with
mplayer.
    I have an 8800GTS with dual Xinerama setup connected to 2
monitors, one running at 1920x1600 and the other monitor at 1680x1050.
See: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/130976 for the
patch (and please vote so we can get the bloody thing in ports
already!).
Thanks,
-Garrett