Xorg strange behavior

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 4 16:09:03 PST 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 06:38 pm, Xin LI wrote:
> Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 February 2009 01:45 pm, Glen Barber wrote:

> >> Interestingly, this solution did *not* work for me yesterday.
> >> The only solution was to install the binary xorg-server and
> >> xorg-drivers.
> >
> > Please try hal-0.5.11_17, xf86-input-mouse-1.4.0_3, and
> > xorg-server-1.5.3_4,1, which I just committed.  If the problem
> > does not go away, please send us /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
> I think it greatly improved the situation but not resolved
> completely. By chance, it seems that the system would stop
> responding to keyboard until I move mouse or the pointer stick.
>
> This is a ThinkPad T61 with Logitech mouse plugged into USB.

This is a symptom of openning /dev/sysmouse multiple times.  You have

Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

and there is a mouse section pointing to /dev/sysmouse in xorg.conf,
i.e., /dev/sysmouse is configured via your static configuration AND
via hald.

- If you don't have to keep "AllowEmptyInput", then just remove the
option.  The mouse section will be ignored and hald will do the right
thing now.

- If you really have to keep "AllowEmptyInput" for some reason, then
you should remove mouse section from xorg.conf OR you may add
"AutoAddDevices" "off" in the server layout section.

I hope it helps.

Jung-uk Kim