X drivers depend on Gnome?

mva at sysfault.org mva at sysfault.org
Wed Feb 4 06:21:03 PST 2009

Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov at comcast.net>:

> ,--- You/Alexander (Wed, 04 Feb 2009 08:37:40 +0100) ----*
> | > ,--- You/Jeremy (Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:19:12 -0600) ----*
> |
> | It originated in GNOME, but as it is small and light, it is used now
> | in more or less everything. For example openssl uses it too (but
> | unfortunately openssl in the FreeBSD base system does not install
> | the corresponding config file), but this does not make openssl
> | depend upon GNOME.
>
> A perfect example -- you can see the difference in how X and openssl
> approach this:
>
> ------------------------------
> $ grep -i 'pkgconfig[^/]*$' Mk/bsd.openssl.mk Mk/bsd.port.post.mk
> Mk/bsd.xorg.mk security/openssl/Makefile
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv/Makefile| less
> Mk/bsd.xorg.mk:# app - requires pkgconfig, don't install shared
> libraries (I guess)
> Mk/bsd.xorg.mk:USE_GNOME+=      pkgconfig
> Mk/bsd.xorg.mk:USE_GNOME+=      pkgconfig
> Mk/bsd.xorg.mk:USE_GNOME+=      pkgconfig
> Mk/bsd.xorg.mk:USE_GNOME+=      gnomehack pkgconfig
> security/openssl/Makefile:              -e
> 's|lib/pkgconfig|libdata/pkgconfig|g' \

What you grep here are two completely different things. The first telling
the ports to actually use pkg-config (Mk/*), as a port executes it to
gather CFLAGS and LIBS (which you would like to see changed to some
USE_SPECIAL_FOOFOO_TOOL = pkgconfig, if I got that right), the second
one patching openssl to install it's .pc file into the FreeBSD specific
pkgconfig directory hierarchy (usually /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/).

Regards
Marcus