X drivers depend on Gnome?

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 11:03:51 PST 2009

I am trying to disengage from the latest X, and have had reasonable
success in this (thanks to everybody who had made the suggestions!):

  1. Got the old (2008.12.23) ports tree and rebuilt the X-based
     components as necessary.

  2. Restarted my desktop (resulting in a perfect work environment).

  3. Got the new (last night) ports tree and rebuilt higher-level
     components (e.g. twm and xterm) on the foundation of the old X
     core pieces (such as xproto, xorg-server and libxcb).

Going forward, I am going to keep the X core pieces as they are
(e.g. xorg-server-1.4.2,1), and update higher-level ports as I always
did.

I am slowly moving down the X ports dependency stack, trying to
understand what I should leave in a frozen state and what keep
upgrading.

Here I came across something that stunned me: the X drivers depend on
Gnome.  E.g.

----------
$ pwd; make -V _DEPEND_DIRS; pkg_which /usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
/usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
.....  /usr/ports/x11/xproto /usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
----------

Which is explained by:

----------
$ grep XORG_CAT Makefile
XORG_CAT=       driver
----------

and in bsd.xorg.mk we find:

----------
# bsd.xorg.mk - Support for X.Org ports and dependencies
#
# Created by: Florent Thoumie <flz at FreeBSD.org>
#
# !!! Here be dragons !!! (yeah, here as well...)
#
# $FreeBSD: ports/Mk/bsd.xorg.mk,v 1.9 2009/01/23 16:27:14 flz Exp $

. if ${XORG_CAT} == "driver"
USE_GNOME+=	 pkgconfig

The semantics of USE_GNOME is defined as follows:

# USE_GNOME		- A list of the Gnome dependencies the port has (e.g.,
#			  glib12, gtk12).  Implies that the port needs
#			  Gnome. Implies inclusion of bsd.gnome.mk.

Can you please explain why X drivers need Gnome pieces?  (I think it's
wrong.)

Thanks,

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --