firefox[2,3] will not start after recent ports upgrade

Daniel Roethlisberger daniel at roe.ch
Mon Feb 2 15:01:44 PST 2009

Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> 2009-02-02:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel at roe.ch> wrote:
> > Alexander Konovalenko <kono at kth.se> 2009-02-01:
> >>
> >> you're right!

> >> "ktrace -i" showed last line:
> >>   firefox-bin CALL  _umtx_op(0x65f8e0,0x8,0x1,0x65f8c0,0)
> >>
> >> http://daemon.nanophys.kth.se/~kono/ktrace_ff3_ktrace-i.txt
> >>
> >> Do you know which port/lib causing this hang on _umtx_op?
> >
> > Unfortunately, no.  I have a box with ports tree from around
> > mid-January on which I was unable to fix this problem.  Native
> > firefox 2 and 3 hung in umtxn state.  So I did pkg_delete -a, rm
> > -rf /usr/local, rebuilt and installed all ports: now the firefox3
> > build hangs in umtxn state while running a tool called shlibsign.
> > No idea how to fix this.  I don't want to update the ports tree
> > to after the unpretty xorg-7.4 changes just yet.
> >
> > I suspect the problem may be related to upgrading using
> > freebsd-update from 7.0 to 7.1, but that's just a wild guess
> > based on the problem appearing after the upgrade; I did make sure
> > no old leftover libraries or binaries were still lying around.
>
>     Have you read UPDATING yet about the libxcb upgrade?
> Cheers,
> -Garrett

$ fgrep xcb /usr/{ports,src}/UPDATING | wc -l
       0

Note that this is a non-current ports tree from before the xorg
7.4 update (mid-January), which used to work fine in the exact
same configuration on RELENG_7_0, but broke on RELENG_7_1.  This
is using the version of libxcb committed by miwi in September
2008.  The libxcb shlib version bump really cannot be related to
this unless I am very much mistaken.

--
Daniel Roethlisberger
http://daniel.roe.ch/