A plea or sanity in port options menu

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Feb 2 12:13:40 PST 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Bill Moran wrote:

> How about:
>
>       Options for port-fu
> [ ] BRG   Bernstein Riggs Guillotine parsing
> [X] QFZ   Quantum Freeze Zulu rending
>
> At least that one gives me _some_ idea what those TLAs mean.

There was talk some time ago of having extended descriptions.  Several
ideas, but the one that made the most sense to me would be a box at the
bottom that would display a description as you moved through the

[.] BRG
[X] QFZ

Bernstein Riggs Guillotine parsing

with the . representing the cursor/highlight position.  Move down and
the bottom line would change to say "Quantum Freeze Zulu rending".  The
nice thing about the box at the bottom is it would give a full line or
possibly several lines for explanations.

Seems like it could be added without breaking the existing system with
an optional OPTIONS_DESC variable that would correspond with OPTIONS.
I don't really know how hard that would be; ideas are cheap,
implementation more costly.