Using shared-mime-info in a port

hideo hideo at lastamericanempire.com
Sun Feb 1 16:03:30 PST 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a port of a python app and have a couple of
questions on using various gnome utils.

Using `port test` I found that I should be using update-mime-info
and update-desktop-database.  So I added the appropriate post-install
line and exec/unexec to pkg-plist.  However, when I run `port test`
it complains that several share/mime files are still present:

	===> Extra files and directories check
	share/mime/subclasses
	share/mime/globs
	share/mime/globs2
	share/mime/magic
	share/mime/XMLnamespaces
	share/mime/aliases
	share/mime/types
	share/mime/generic-icons
	share/mime/icons
	share/mime/treemagic
	share/mime/mime.cache

Is it ok to leave these and let misc/shared-mime-info take care of
them or is my unexec not cleaning up properly? I've tried to test
other ports that use shared-mime-info and they don't seem to leave
these stragglers.  The lines I have in pkg-plist are:

@exec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-desktop-database > /dev/null || /usr/bin/true
@unexec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-desktop-database > /dev/null || /usr/bin/true
@exec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-mime-database %D/share/mime
@unexec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-mime-database %D/share/mime

Another question I have is about the python setup.py file.  It actually
runs update-mime-database, update-desktop-database,
gtk-update-icon-cache, and scrollkeeper-update.  Should I be removing
these via REINPLACE and having the port do it, or not worry about it?

Thanks,
Zach