Still failing, after all these years (was: Re: Need help disabling (re-)configure step)

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:59:03 UTC 2009

Hi Ronald,

On Dec 30, 2009, at 2:02 AM, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com
> [...]

>> app
>> ===>   Returning to build of gnome-vfs-2.24.2
>> Error: shared library "avahi-client" does not exist
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gnome-vfs.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gnome-vfs.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/gthumb.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/gthumb.
>

> Man!  Is this ever FRUSTRATING!  I finally managed to build & install
> avahi-app (using the --disble-dbus config option) but apparently, as
> you
> can see above, doing it that way causes the avahi-client.* library
> files
> to NOT be installed.  (I can't say that this makes any sense at all to
> me.  What good is this whole avahi thing if there are no client
> libraries??
> And if it is utterly useless without them, then why did the
> implementors
> even create a configure option... --disble-dbus... that causes those
> libraries not to even be built or installed?  As I say, this makes no
> sense at all to me.  But I actually don't want to know the answer, I
> just
> want to work-around all of these problems and get gthumb installed.)
>
> So I went over to the /usr/ports/devel/gnome-vfs directory and
> inspected
> _its_ Makefile and found that I could get it to supply a --disable-
> avahi
> option to the configure step simply by doing:
>
>    make -DWITHOUT_MDNS=1
>
> which I then did.  But even THAT doesn't work to get gnome-vfs built &
> installed, because apparently, for reasons I don't understand, the
> &^%$#@ port system _still_ views avahi-app as a prerequsite of gnome-
> vfs
> *and* for some reason it doesn't see that I already have avahi-app
> installed:
>
>    % pkg_info | fgrep avahi
>    avahi-app-0.6.25_2  Service discovery on a local network
>
> So what happens is that my "make -DWITHOUT_MDNS=1" (of gnome-vfs)
> ends up
> trying to rebuild and re-install avahi-app-0.6.25_2... an effort
> which, of
> course, fails horribly, since avahi-app-0.6.25_2 _is_ already
> installed on
> my system.
>
> OK, so why is the ports system not seeing that avahi-app-0.6.25_2
> (needed
> by gnome-vfs) is already installed?  Why does it insist on trying to
> rebuild and re-install it from scratch when I'm just trying to build
> gnome-vfs and when avahi-app-0.6.25_2 is already installed??  (To
> say that
> this makes no sense to me would be an understatement.)
>
> More to the point, how can I get the ports system to STOP trying
> (and failing)
> to re-build and re-install a port that's already installed?

I'll have to look at this when I get home -- it could be a pkg
specfile or port Makefile bug *maybe*. It's been a while since I've
mucked around with though to be honest...

> Regards,
> rfg
>

> P.S.  I can't imagine what a real newcomer to FreeBSD would think
> about
> the OS if he had likewise set out to just build & install one simple
> app
> and if he had run into all of the same obstacles that I've already run
> into, just trying to install gthumb.

Yes, I agree that the way that ports has interfaced with pkg_* is
annoying at best. What does pkg_info -a | grep net/avahi-app say?

> P.P.S.  What the bleep IS this whole gnome-vfs thing anyway?  Yes, I
> read
> the package description...
>
>   The GNOME Virtual File System allows applications and users to treat
>   any number of file system concepts as a part of the local
> filesystem.
>   With GnomeVFS, filesystems across the internet, on connected
> devices,
>   and in multiple formats are as simple to access (and write code for)
>   as any directory on the local machine.
>
> So, uhhh... WTF?  Like NFS, Samba, AFS, and the FreeBSD Vinum Volume
> Manager
> were all not enough??  Somebody else had to go and re-invent this same
> wheel, AGAIN, from scratch??
>
> (Sorry.  My apologies for my outburst.  I'm sure that gnome-vfs is
> somebody's
> baby, on which they worked Real Hard, and as a wise man once taugth
> me a long
> time ago, one should never call someone else's child "ugly".  But it
> is hard
> to be charitable about a thing that just simply won't build AND
> which is
> holding me up from accomplishing what I really set out to do.)

gnome-vfs is a filesystem abstraction layer library which simplifies
work for developers by hiding nasty bits with a number of local and
remote filesystems, thus (in theory) making folks lives easier. Gvinum
is FreeBSD based, so it doesn't cover Linux, OpenSolaris, etc.

The problem with anything Gnome (note I didn't say GTK) based is the
fact that they are still taking a kitchen sink approach instead of
splitting up functionality properly (avahi should only be required for
network lib support)... KDE takes a similar approach as well...

-Garrett