cups issue after gutenprint-cups update

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Dec 25 15:40:18 UTC 2009

I recently upgraded gutenprint* ports, including gutenprint-cups-5.2.4, and after
that I couldn't print to my CUPS/SMB printer any more.
In cups logs I found that it tried to execute
/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.1, but it was replaced by
/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.2.
I also noticed that the following files had references to rastertogutenprint.5.1:
etc/cups/printers.conf
etc/cups/printers.conf.O
etc/cups/ppd/printer.ppd

I did some googling and performed the following steps:
$ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd stop
[edit printers.conf and printers.conf.O to replace 5.1 with 5.2]
$ cups-genppdupdate
$ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd start
That fixed the problem for me.

So I decided to share this information.
If this issue was not caused by my local misconfiguration, and other users might
also run into it, then it might be a good idea to mention this in UPDATING.

--
Andriy Gapon