Pointyhat packages

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Dec 9 00:52:32 UTC 2009

Mark Linimon wrote:

[...]

> Two data points: one, it looks like Pav having marked www/p5-Gtk2-WebKit
> as broken had already been taken into account for the amd64 build, so it
> didn't have that problem.  And two, some of our i386 machines are indeed
> underpowered.  We've added several new, more modern, ones this year that
> were donated to us: these are dual 2.4 or 2.8GHz machines, mostly with
> 2G of RAM.  (One of my background tasks is to try to characterize
> performance on the nodes with various setups; my intuition is that 4G
> would allow us to raise throughput, but I need to make a 'use case' for
> that before I go ask for funding.)
>
> fwiw, I continually look for new ways to scrounge more package building
> nodes (I seem to have inherited the task of looking after them).

What is the policy for package building nodes? I mean, is it possible to
use some machines not owned directy by FreeBSD.org?
For example, I have spare machine in our rack which I can lend for some
period (until some production machine goes down and needs to be replaced
by this spare machine) or maybe I can set up some older unused machine
(IBM x336).

Is deploying of new node easy task or is it something special that is
not useful to do for relatively short period of time?

Miroslav Lachman