The new cups ports seem to not recognize usb printers on FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Fri Dec 4 18:49:15 UTC 2009

At the end of this email I'm referencing a previous email that I sent
about this before checking if the problem was the new BSD stack and it
appears that it is.  I just checked with my FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT laptop
and it finds the USB printer perfectly and prints as expected. It
would seem that I'm going to have to upgrade all my 7.2-STABLE servers
to either 8.0 or 9.0 that all have usb printers that are being shared
by others through cups. I assume that either of the two would be
equally problematic.  I hadn't wanted to upgrade just yet but now I
see little choice.  I've almost always run current on them and upgrade
less than on my laptop and have never had any major problem since 4.0
or maybe before.  That makes my upgrading seamless although a bit risky.

I wonder, if anyone who has upgraded, could give me a suggestion as to
which method to use cvsup or burn a cd/dvd and I will need to
recompile all ports and the first thing that pops into my mind is the
example in the portmaster manual page.

One other question, "Shouldn't this have a notation in UPGRADING and
maybe a work around?"

Thanks for any suggestions,

ed

Reference: Re: The new cups ports seem to not recognize or I don't
know how to configure usb printers.