portmaster is not always recursive

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 29 19:32:29 UTC 2009

Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> I have another case, where portmaster did not update dependency.
>
> I started with the following list of available updates
>
> root at elsa ~/# portmaster fetch update && pkg_version -vIL =
> apache-2.2.11_7               <  needs updating (index has 2.2.13)

Portmaster doesn't use the INDEX file at all, so all bets are off at
this point. However ...

> root at elsa ~/# portmaster -L | grep apache
> ===>>> apache-2.2.11_7
>         ===>>> New version available: apache-2.2.13
> ===>>> apachetop-0.12.6_1

So let's look at php5-mcrypt:

make all-depends-list
/usr/ports/lang/php5
/usr/ports/devel/autoconf262
/usr/ports/security/libmcrypt
/usr/ports/devel/libltdl22
/usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
/usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
/usr/ports/devel/m4
/usr/ports/misc/help2man
/usr/ports/devel/gmake
/usr/ports/devel/autoconf-wrapper
/usr/ports/devel/libtool22
/usr/ports/converters/libiconv

I have no idea how pkg_tree creates its list of dependencies, but
according to the method that portmaster uses apache is not a dependency.

hth,

Doug