Apache SSL broken after upgrade to 2.2.13?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Aug 26 09:05:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:59:34AM +0200, Frederique Rijsdijk wrote:
> Following todays portaudit advisory, I upgraded Apache on several
> machines. On a machine that's running SSL, things broke after the
> ugprade with the following error:
>
> [Wed Aug 26 10:23:39 2009] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no
> certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]
>
> The previous version was 2.2.11_5. Everything worked fine. The hint that
> apache gives is obviously configured in httpd.conf..
>
> Rolled back to version 2.2.11_5, all is working again.
>
> Did I miss something?

This was reported in Debian, too; it seems to be an upstream change
in Apache.  I don't know what they intend to do about it, but it does
indeed "break" the setups of a lot of people who only put the SSL
certificate, key, and stuff in the virtual hosts that actually
require it.

As a workaround, just put the SSL cert and key directives somewhere
on a global level, outside a vhost, and Apache will start.  Stupid,
I know, but that's how it is for the present :/

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at space.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org