[HEADUP] FreeBSD Gecko's TODO and plan for future

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Tue Aug 25 02:11:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 06:18:47PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:23:59 +1000
> > From: Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org>
> > Is there any convenient way to list dependencies hierarchially,
> > rather than the flat set that pkg_info -r provides?
>
> How did you sequence the re-builds? I'd guess that gimp-app was re-built
> after the gimp metaport, so the metaport retained the dependency.

More or less:
for i in $(pkg_info -q -o $(cat /var/db/pkg/firefox-2.0.0.20_9,1/+REQUIRED_BY )); do
   echo $i:
   cd /usr/ports/$i
   sudo make build deinstall reinstall clean
done

> If you have portupgrade, I would suggest 'portupgrade -rfx firefox
> firefox'. portupgrade works by building a dependency graph of the needed
> ports and builds te tree from the root. This should get rid of all but a
> handful of ports.

I've stopped using portupgrade in favour of portmaster, but I
don't see a ready equivalent to this with portmaster, hence my
dumb script.  In particular, I don't think that portmaster can
combine the -r and -x flags (depend and exclude), and when I've
done -f -r in combination before, then it seems to build the
entire transitive closure of dependencies, rather than just the
immediate ones.

Hence my question about a tool to manipulate the dependency
graph as a graph...

Maybe the list will get shorter if I just repeat the rebuild
process a few times?...

> It looks like everything in the list should rebuild without the firefox
> dependency. I had every one of them. I'm now down to just
> mplayerplug-in because it fails to build against libxul.

That's good to know.  It'd be nice to be able to get rid of
firefox2, if it's not going to get security patches.

Cheers,

--
Andrew