portmaster is not always recursive

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 21 19:29:17 UTC 2009

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> Unfortunately it didn't quite keep up with the times when some code
>> paths were added (such as -r and the new code to do multiple ports on
>> the same command line) and it was not always being unset when it
>> should have been. The more common code paths (one port on the command
>> line, or -a) didn't have this problem, which along with the fact that
>> it only happened with certain combinations of out of date dependencies
>> is why the bug went undiagnosed for so long.
>
> Code for multiple ports can explain my problems discribed with
> amavisd-new and spamassassin, as I use upgrade of more ports in one
> command very often.

Ok, that's good to know.

> I can confirm that bug was fixed in 2.10, it passed my test with -r
> jpeg-7 ;)

Also good news. :)  I'm actually pretty confident at this point that
this bug was the cause of most, if not all of the "oops, portmaster
missed a dependency update" problems that other users have reported
but have never been able to give me the info I needed to reproduce.

Doug