portmaster is not always recursive

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Aug 17 22:21:53 UTC 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have some problem with portmaster.
>>If I do upgrade of graphics/gd, portmaster check and upgrade all
>>dependencies of gd (png, jpeg, pkg-config, freetype) but if upgrade of
>>gd is called by upward recursive upgrade of jpeg library, I end up with
>>new jpeg, new gd, new mrtg, but old png. It means that png was not
>>upgraded as dependency of gd.
>

> If png needed to be upgraded it should have been upgraded as a
> dependency of gd even when using -r. I'll look into this, thanks for
> your very detailed problem report.

I have seen similar problem in the past with amavisd-new + spamassassin
and their dependencies, but it is much bigger and complicated tree of
dependencies and I have not evidence recorded for it.
Reported case with jpeg / gd / png is the simplest one I have seen.

Let me know if you need some more informations or test patches etc.

Miroslav Lachman

PS: Thanks for your work on my favourite ports-mgmt tool = portmaster ;)