portversion and pkg_version have different opinions on current versions

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sat Aug 15 20:58:43 UTC 2009

Doug Barton wrote:

> Thomas Backman wrote:
>

>>Thanks, guys!
>>However, a new issue appeared... Kind of. I know I read something about
>>portsnap and INDEX on the -current list recently, so I'm guessing this
>>is related? Maybe not, though (see later in the mail).
>>
>>[root at chaos /usr/ports/ports-mgmt]# portsnap -I fetch update >/dev/null
>>[root at chaos /usr/ports/ports-mgmt]# pkg_version -vL=
>>[root at chaos /usr/ports/ports-mgmt]# pkg_version -vIL=
>>curl-7.19.5_1                       <   needs updating (index has 7.19.6)
>>dnsmasq-2.49_1                      <   needs updating (index has 2.49_2)
>>ezm3-1.1_2                          <   needs updating (index has 1.2_1)
>

> Can you check the files in your ports tree to see if they have the
> older versions or the newer? You can either read the Makefiles or do this:
>
> cd /usr/ports/ftp/curl
> make -V PKGNAME
>
> I suspect that somehow the INDEX file and your ports tree are out of
> date, although my understanding was that this should not happen with
> portsnap.

Files in ports tree and INDEX are out of sync, because of the -I in
portsnap command. The -I updates INDEX only!

man portsnap:
      -I   For the update command, update INDEX files, but not the rest
	  of the ports tree.

That's why portupgrade -a cannot upgrade anything, because ports tree
doesn't have updated files.

Solution:

portsnap fetch update

(This will update both INDEX + files)

Miroslav Lachman

PS: do not redirect output of the portsnap command to /dev/null and you
will see, what portsnap is doing :)