Updating the "Mailscanner" port

Jason J. Hellenthal jasonh at DataIX.net
Fri Aug 14 15:52:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:18:13 -0400
Kevin Kobb <kkobb at skylinecorp.com> wrote:

> Johan Hendriks wrote:

> > yours.

> > timeout

> > version,

> >> I noticed a couple of things here. The 4.78.9 version is still listed
> >>
> > as
> >
> >> Beta according to the MailScanner site, though the site may just not
> >> have updated yet. Second, the patch submitted forces perl 5.10+ as a
> >> requirement. I've seen nothing on the MailScanner site that says that
> >> this is a requirement, and have had no problems myself using any of the
> >>

> >> Beta versions with perl 5.8.9_3. Given that upgrading perl is not
> >> something to be done lightly, I was wondering what issues people were
> >> seeing that 5.10 fixed.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > I am running quit a few Mailscanner servers, and they all failed under
> > perl 5.8.9
> > This was on FreeBSD 6.x, 7.x and 8-Current that time, when i switched to
> > 5.10.x or back to 5.8.8 my problems went away.
> >
> > if you google on FreeBSD perl 5.8.9 and mailscanner there are a lot of
> > people reporting issues.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Johan Hendriks

> > 08/13/09 18:16:00
> >
> I do remember seeing these problems reported, but for the life of me, I
> can not reproduce them. I use 5.8.9 in production, and get 20 to 40
> thousand messages a day scanned without a problem. I am setting up a new
> server, and I will try 5.10 on that and see how things go.

This is most likely the common problem. ports/UPDATING states:
20090113:
  AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.8
  AUTHOR: skv at FreeBSD.org

  lang/perl5.8 has been updated to 5.8.9.  You should update everything
  that depends on perl.  The easiest way to do that is to use
  perl-after-upgrade script supplied with lang/perl5.8.  Please see its
  manual page for details.

Please check UPDATING after to follow up on any other updates for perl that you might have to perform.

This explains why going back to 5.8.8 works for you.

Best regards.

--
Jason J. Hellenthal
+1.616.403.8065

I pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands; one Nation under God, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.