Ports completely and permanently hosed

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 7 04:59:17 UTC 2009

Lars Eighner wrote:

> Believe me, if I can get back to my printer, camera, and mp3 player
> all working (which last occurred about 6.2 or so) I'll never upgrade
> again.  Of course it is kind of lonely when your release is orphaned,
> which happens in the blink of an eye, but if the kernel supports all the
> hardware, I'm pretty sure I can install any apps that I suddenly decide I
> have to have myself.

I'm not saying this to be snarky, but you might seriously consider
trying another open source operating system to see if it meets your
needs better. There is a reason that there are so many choices out
there nowadays, different people have different needs. For all the
strides we've made in the "desktop/end user" areas in the 15 years
I've been a FreeBSD user it is still, primarily, a server system;
especially when compared to other systems like Ubuntu that are focused
on the end user.

You're clearly very frustrated, and I'm not going to judge whether
your frustration is justified or not. But before you expend a lot more
energy railing about the sad state FreeBSD is in you might want to put
that energy in a more productive direction.

Doug