Ports completely and permanently hosed

Lars Eighner portsuser at larseighner.com
Fri Aug 7 01:36:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 06 August 2009 pm 19:10:07 Lars Eighner wrote:
>>
>> Would these things build if I deleted all 1619 installed
>> packages and started from scratch, or are the circular gotchas
>> built-in with python and qt?
>
> do not even ask this question if you have a working system.
>
> I realised this problem by luck when I tried to update a single
> program which is affected by this. After seeing how many ports
> depend on this, I decided to keep my system as it is and wait
> until FreeBSD 8 is officially out.

Well, I deinstalled python26 and python25 which was hanging around
but was not set in make.conf.  I deinstalled python24, which said it wasn't
there, but I found a directory for it in /usr/local/include .  Then I forced
pkg_delete py\*  I recursively removed the python directories in
/usr/local/include just to be sure it was dead.  Made clean the whole ports
directory.  Installed python26.  Then I let pkgdb -F install stale
dependencies.  Just reply a to everything.  What pkgdb says looks like it is
just not getting it, but it is, even if it calls things by the wrong py
prefix.  Since just about all the distfiles were on hand, this wasn't quite
as horrible as I imagined and nothing to shoot up a fitness center about,
but there were still a few (<6) touch ups owing to a few ports that have
hidden py-ness.

That seems to have settle the python disaster.

The kde disaster is still grinding, but I have high hopes.

> I will then do a full upgrade.
>
> I think that you hit the weakest point of FreeBSD. When a version
> number of a base port changes, hundreds or even thousands of
> ports have to be recompiled. It is basically the same effect as
> when the major version number of FreeBSD changes.
>
> If this would be synchronised with the main FreeBSD releases, it
> would have a minor effect on users.

Was it 6.0 when they upgraded Xorg just after the release?  You might as
well have used the ports tree disc as a coaster.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html