getting bogged down by malfunctioning ports subsystem

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Aug 6 09:00:03 UTC 2009

Am 06.08.2009, 05:38 Uhr, schrieb Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org>:

> I have considered changing the order of how portmaster does things from:
>
> build
> backup package (unless -B)
> deinstall
> install
>
> to:
> backup package
> deinstall
> build
> install
>
> That is undoubtedly more dangerous, and would require the "automated
> backout" feature that I have yet to write, but it would solve a lot of
> these problems.

I recall very few cases where this change would have helped me; one was
the recent GD2 update (arguably that would be a bug of the individual port
- often an upstream bug - that picked up an old /usr/local library version
during the build), and a minor one was an earlier e2fsprogs-libuuid issue
(which was in fact just exposing genuine upstream bugs that impaired
portability); it also impairs system functionality during the whole build
phase.

--
Matthias Andree