recent update causes perl5.10 build failure

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Aug 4 18:35:11 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 08:33:08 am Doug Barton wrote:
> Scott Bennett wrote:
> >      Keep in mind that this experience did appear to reveal a portmaster
> > bug. After the "portmaster -w -v -a" had already asked whether to rebuild
> > perl5.8 even though it had a +IGNOREME file and had gotten an enter key
> > in response, which should have selected the "n" shown as the default
> > ("[n]"), it later went ahead and built perl5.8 anyway.  From what you and
> > the documentation have told me, that should never happen.
>
> I don't think it can happen if the build of all the dependencies is
> under portmaster's control. However there are edge cases when
> dependencies don't show up when portmaster polls the port for the list
> but the ports infrastructure builds them anyway. I'd have to look at a
> log of the whole session to be sure.
>
> Having both perl5.8 and perl5.10 installed at the same time is kind of
> an odd configuration, and could very well produce the kind of edge
> case I described above.

I had recently had problems moving packages from one fast computer to a slower
one for installs. When I did the forced, recursive update of perl-5.10 using
packages, there were ports only on the second computer that caused
portupgrade to force load perl-5.8.*. Portupgrade, when it is forced, didn't
pay attention to the registered conflicts. I had to delete the old version of
perl and reinstall 5.10. IIRC, portmanager -s would show me the ports that
were still linked to the old version of perl and could be compiled to upgrade
on the slower computer. There were numerous "pkdgb -L" runs to re-establish
the lost dependencies. Many were ports left behind by an incomplete removal
of kde4 and simply deleting them got rid of most of the problems.

I eventually got to where I could "portupgrade -Prf perl" and not have it
compile anything or install an older version of perl.

Tidy caused something similar and never was able to upgrade it and the
programs that use it with portupgrade.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart