ports/*/jpeg "Thanks a lot guys"

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Aug 1 09:10:41 UTC 2009

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:12:49PM -0400, Jason J. Hellenthal wrote:
>> Now that I have finally upgraded my system in full from the last mix-up
>> with jpeg, You guys have bumped up every PORTREVISION that depends on jpeg
>> "Great real great" Now I get to spend another three days fixing up some
>> more packages and rebuilding about 800+ ports.
>>
>> Thanks a whole lot.
>
> Nobody is forcing you to rebuild your ports just because the PORTREVISION
> was bumped.  If everything works fine for you there is actually no good
> reason at all to do so.

The OP does have a valid point though.  I just got an e-mail from Freshports
saying that a bunch of ports I maintain had had PORTREVISION bumps because of
the jpeg update.  Which is all fine and dandy, except that these were the
www/p5-RT-* extension modules for RT.  First of all, they are pure perl: there's
no object linkage with the jpeg shlibs at all.  Secondly, they have nothing
to do with manipulating jpeg data in any way, shape or form.  One of their
dependencies links against libjpeg: that's it.

Blanket modification of PORTREVISION for everything that can depend on a shlib
which has had an ABI version bump is certainly effective, but it seems too much
of a blunt instrument to me.  You don't need a revision bump for dependencies
that install no ELF format executables, shlibs or similar.  Detecting what ports
install ELF executables is not too hard -- I submitted ports/129210 which should
do the job, although I was thinking more along the lines of factoring out ports
that are architecture independent and only building them once on the package build
cluster when I submitted that.  Needs some work on capturing the output for use by
port comitters / maintainers

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3