mythtv 0.21 - trouble compiling the port

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 16 22:31:46 UTC 2009

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/4/13 Bernhard Fröhlich <decke at bluelife.at>:
>> Looks like another missing patch. Now i've double checked with your list
>> and this is the last missing one. (also taken from mythtv-frontend)
>>
>> http://home.bluelife.at/ports/mythtv/patch-libs-libmythtv-libmythtv.pro
>
> Yes, now 'make' in mythtv woks as expected. Thank you. :-)
>
> However, 'make install' fails if mysql is not running:
>
> Added group "mythtv".
> Added user "mythtv".
> Starting mysql.
> *** Unable to start mysqld
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv.
>
> The port is lying about not being able to start mysql:
>
> root at kg-quiet# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server status
> mysql is running as pid 34965.
>

> If I run 'make install' with mysql running, it works as expected.
> I'm not really sure how this should be handled.
> Perphaps the port should just tell the user that it was unable to
> install the database, and tel her / hom how to do it manually?

Hi Torfinn,

Would you mind applying this small patch to mythtv/files/pkg-install.in?

http://people.freebsd.org/~glarkin/diffs/mythtv-pkg-install.in.diff

Since the "Unable to start mysqld" message is emitted in two different
places, I'd like to know which one you are getting.  I think that the
spurious error might be caused by checking for the process existence too
quickly, but I could be wrong.

If you have a chance to re-install the port, let me know which message
appears now when it attempts to start mysqld.

Thank you,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin